Cooperative members have rights and responsibilities. Both are outlined in the co-op's bylaws, in standard parliamentary procedure, and in local, state and federal laws.
Members’ participation in the co-op can be as simple as handing out meeting flyers, or as involved as running for the board of directors. However, members always have a responsibility to:
- pay lot rents in full and on time
- ask good and thoughtful questions at annual meeting
- stay informed about issues in the community by observing board meetings and reading all co-op correspondence
- adhere to board-approved policies and procedures, including the meeting code of conduct
- disclose any conflict of interest with the co-op to the board of directors by completing a conflict-of-interest form
- vote on matters brought to the membership
- deliver valid complaints in writing to the board of directors
- pay the membership fee in full (or per the subscription/membership agreement),
- abide by community rules
- treat community members with respect and be a good neighbor
- hold the board accountable for its actions, including obeying all bylaws and applicable local, state and federal laws
- most importantly, be active in the community, as each member’s time and talent allow.
All ROC residents have the right to be treated fairly, respectfully, and without discrimination; and to have equal access to services.
Additionally, members have the right to:
- be heard at a membership meeting
- run for office at co-op elections, in accordance with the member-approved bylaws
- inspect co-op records, in accordance with the member-approved bylaws, except those containing personal information about members
- be given proper notice for all board and member meetings
- deliver a valid petition to the board of directors when/if there is a serious issue to bring to the members for deliberation
- a fair hearing before expulsion
ROC residents must be members in good standing to be eligible to run for board office.
ROC-NH™ is a program of the New Hampshire Community Loan Fund, Inc. and a ROC USA® Certified Technical Assistance Provider. ROC-NH is a registered service mark of ROC USA, LLC.